MRI Death Case: High Court Grants Interim Relief of Rs 10 lakh to Kin


The Bombay HC on Tuesday granted interim compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the family of a 32-year-old salesman who died last January after being sucked into an Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine at a civic hospital.
The court observed the “unfortunate incident’’ was a prima facie case of negligence. The High Court directed the civic body & BYL Nair Hospital, where the death occurred, to pay the amount within 6 weeks.
“But for negligence on part of hospital authorities, the incident wouldn’t have taken place,” said the High Court bench of Justices Akil Kureshi & S J Kathawalla.
“Hospitals should take all necessary precautions. Municipal hospitals will be visited by a large number of people, many from rural areas, lacking in awareness. It will be unreasonable to be aware about entering an Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan room without metal objects,’’ said justice Kureshi.
Lalbaug resident, Rajesh Maru, died after getting pulled into the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine along with an oxygen cylinder he allegedly carried into the room for his ailing relative, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) had said.
“As per the employer, its staff was negligent in discharge of duties…the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) thus cannot avoid its liabilities to pay compensation,’’ said the High Court in the interim order. Maru’s family members had petitioned the court last year seeking safety guidelines on use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in hospitals & Rs 1.4 crore compensation. Their counsel ,Darius Khambata, had argued there was negligence on the part of hospital staff as the ward boy had “instructed” Maru to enter the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanning room. The family’s case was the ward boy had said the machine was off at the time. The High Court will decide the final compensation after a detailed hearing.

Leave a Reply